Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ol' Faithful 08-10-02

Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming


Why did I start with this one? Post high school, this was my first attempt at drawing uninhibited, thanks to Mary's encouragement. Old Faithful was an inspiring subject too. We were sitting in the park, waiting for Ol' Faithful to blow her top when the clock struck. Mary had her pastels out to sketch and I'd been toying with the idea of drawing. I've always wanted to be the "artist" in the group but too shy to even try anything. So, this was my chance - no pressure and a happy moment.

This was the semester of my student teaching. Mary & I were in the American Indian Reservation Cultural Immersion Project through Indiana University Bloomington. We drove from Indiana with her sister Theresa to Denver, Colarado. Then, Mary & I went up to Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming for a night and day... over to Moab, Utah to raft... and down to Kayenta, our final destination.


You'll find that my drawings or crafts are not so remarkable. I am an ordinary person, with the artistic background of one high school basic arts class and family members or friends who are talented. The times I have chosen to pursue have usually been high points or low points in my life. I cherish each time I've actually completed a piece of art.


Medium: Oil pastels

No comments:

Post a Comment